- The definition of narrative text
Narrative text is a story with complication or problematic events and it tries to find the resolutions to solve the problems. An important part of narrative text is the narrative mode, the set of methods used to communicate the narrative through a process narration.
- The purpose of narrative text The Purpose of Narrative Text is to amuse or to entertain the reader with a story.
- Generic Structures of Narrative Text
Sets the scene: where and when the story happened and introduces the participants of the story: who and what is involved in the story.
Tells the beginning of the problems which leads to the crisis (climax) of the main participants.
The problem (the crisis) is resolved, either in a happy ending or in a sad (tragic) ending
This is a closing remark to the story and it is optional. It consists of a moral lesson, advice or teaching from the writer
4. The Characteristics / Language Feature of Narrative Text:
– Past tense (killed, drunk, etc)
– Adverb of time (Once upun a time, one day, etc)
– Time conjunction (when, then, suddenly, etc)
– Specific character. The character of the story is specific, not general. (Cinderella, Snow White, Alibaba, etc)
– Action verbs. A verb that shows an action. (killed, dug, walked, etc)
– Direct speech. It is to make the story lively. (Snow White said,”My name is Snow White). The direct speech uses present tense.
|Generic Structure||Tittle||Language Features|
|Oriention||Once upon a time there lived a little girl named Snow White. She lived with her Aunt and Uncle because her parents were dead.|
|Complication 1||One day she heard her Uncle and Aunt talking about leaving Snow White in the castle because they both wanted to go to America and they didn’t have enough money to take Snow White.|
|Complicaion 2||Snow White did not want her Uncle and Aunt to do this so she decided it would be best if she ran away. The next morning she ran away from home when her Aunt and Uncle were having breakfast. She ran away into the woods.|
|Reorientation||She was very tired and hungry.
Then she saw this little cottage. She knocked but no one answered so she went inside and fell asleep. Meanwhile, the seven dwarfs were coming home from work. They went inside. There they found Snow White sleeping. Then Snow White woke up. She saw the dwarfs. The dwarfs said, what is your name? Snow White said, ‘My name is Snow White’.
Doc said, ‘If you wish, you may live here with us”. Snow White said, ‘Oh could I? Thank you.’ Then Snow White told the dwarfs the whole story and Snow White and the 7 dwarfs lived happily ever after
Past tense : underline
Adverb of time : blocked
Time conjunction : colored red and bold
- What type of the text is used by the witer?
e. news item
Answer : A
- The dwarf said “ if you wish ,you may live here with us “ what did the drawf mean with the world underlined?
- He asked Snow White for a permission to say with her
- He offered snow white to stay with them
- He snowed his interest in snow white
- He agrred to stay with snow whie
- He wishes to stay with snow white
Answer : B
- The third paragraph describes in detail…
- Where snow white’s aunt and uncle had breakfast
- What snow white did after hearning her uncle’s plan
- How snow white went in to the cottage
- Whom snow white met in the woods
- With whom snow white ran away into the woods
Answer : C
- When did snow white ran from house?
- An night
- At midday
- At midnight
- In the evening
- In the morning
Answer : E